|Blue Plaques in Oxford|
The Oxfordshire Jewish Heritage Committee is reviewing the presence of Blue Plaques which commemorate places or people with a Jewish connection. To have a Plaque erected application is made to the Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board who have set the following criteria which must be strictly adhered to:
Criteria for a person to be remembered:
* He/she must have been dead for at least 20 years or have passed the centenary of his/her birth, whichever is earlier.
* He/she must have resided or worked for at least five years in the building on which the plaque will be erected.
* There must be reasonable grounds that the person is regarded as eminent in his/her sphere
OR has made a significant contribution to human welfare or happiness
OR had an outstanding personality and is known to well-informed passers-by
OR has done work worthy of recognition.
Criteria for a location to be remembered:
The location must be recognised nationally, countywide, or locally, as being of especial significance and worthy of recognition. Where an event is associated with it, at least 20 years must have elapsed before it can be considered for commemoration.
So far only 2 Blue Plaques in Oxford can be shown to have a Jewish connection:
• KREBS, Sir Hans (1900 - 1981), biochemist and nobel laureate at 27 Abberbury Road, Iffley unveiled 7th June 2008
• BERLIN, Sir Isaiah ( 1909 - 1997 ), philospher, author and founding President of Wolfson College, at Headington House, Old High Street, Headington, unveiled 7th June 2009
The latest, that for Sir Isaiah Berlin, was erected after the involvement of the Oxford Jewish Heritage Committee, and this is demonstrated by the committee's name appearing on the plaque. We hope this will be the first of many such plaques around Oxford.
A recent developement by the Association of Jewish Refuges is to place plaques to commemorate work done by Jewish Refuges and the first such plaque was placed to commemorate the work done by Sir Hans Krebs in Oxford on the site of the newly rebuilt University Department of Biochemistry. This was unveiled in May 2013.